Prescription medications can be hard to understand & manage. Creative Living Center understands the need to be informed and organized when dealing with prescription drugs. We can help you with the basics of medication management, and help prevent adverse effects caused by misdiagnosed or over diagnosed medications.
Tips for Medicine Management:
- Keep a checklist of all medications (including over the counter) that includes information on: the amount, intake schedule, and whether the medication needs to be taken with food. Keep a copy near the medication, an another on your person in a wallet or purse.
- Review your prescription often, as well, ask doctors and pharmacists if they have new information about your prescriptions (even ones you have been using for a long time), always ask health care providers to write out advice and instructions for taking medications.
- Check before you store. Some medications will need to be kept in a refrigerator. Always make sure that the area where you store medication is not moist, since this can cause medications to break down more quickly. Your bathroom medicine cabinet is not a good place to store medications.
In case of accidental poisoning
Call Poison Help at 1-800-222-1222 to speak with a poison expert at the poison center serving your area
Poison Help Line is available for free 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls are always free and confidential. Interpreter services are also available in 160 languages
- Keep Calm most poisoning emergencies can be resolved quickly
- If the person is unconscious or has trouble breathing call 9-1-1
The importance of taking Medications Correctly
Taking medicines incorrectly can lead to hospital or emergency room visits, and is usually detrimental to the overall health of the individual. It is very important for those taking medications to not take more than the prescribed amount, since this can quickly lead to dangerous circumstances depending on the substance taken. Medication management is especially important for seniors. The average senior takes about seven different medications every day (both over the counter and prescribed drugs). Prescriptions can often be confusing and complex, and many people don't seek out help or advice when they are confused about their prescription or medical condition, which can lead to death, injury or feelings of helplessness.